Monday 31 December 2007

Ego

Saturday turned out to be a very interesting day indeed.

My concentration was on the Hobbits and celebrating their 6th birthday. His concentration was on points scoring and trying to play the martyr.

I called his bluff you see. While he was having a conversation on the phone, or rather hysterics on the phone that had no real relation to what I was actually saying but would play out well for listening ears (i.e. her) I gave him a plan he couldn't possibly fault.

My plans for their birthday were during the day. He could very easily take them out that evening for dinner. Once he had gone through the script for her benefit, a script I recognise from when he used to be on the phone to his family and I felt so sorry for him as they "seemed" to be giving him such a tough time, he saw sense. The next part of the script was an over-exaggerated effort into making plans, rushing about with timetables for the cinema to take them to see The Bee Movie. Oh how I recognised every last part of what he did, it does work because it fooled me for far too long.

We met near Edinburgh, it is so strange that I see through this farce now. I can see exactly what is going to happen and when and know that he has changed not one jot. He was all happy and thankful to me for letting him do this. I remind him he is the boys father and he has a right even though he makes a joke of it most of the times. I even warned the boys to be on good behaviour with her, and told him that to expect me to ask the boys to welcome her was a bit much. That is his job, then again when has he done anything.

For once he didn't try and tap me for money. Well, after their gifts to each other of tom-tom for him and iPhone for her it would sound a little hollow to then mention they have only £40 to live on until his pay date. So that would mean she is as bad with money as he is. (I still want to ask if he calls her materialistic for having a house, which is what I was accused of for wanting one.)

His return was even more entertaining. The boys are happy, sleepy and contented. Eldest behaved himself but youngest still blanks her - how is this my problem? As he carries boys and presents in she suddenly appears. Of course having a couple of hours to relax I just had to be in my jammies and dressing gown for this part. I stand in the hallway, blocking entrance into the rest of the house which is a tip of new toys.

I say not a word to her, he babbles on about this and that. Luckily they leave quickly.

I wonder if she thought I would invite her in for tea and biscuits?

One thing annoying, or even more annoying. They received gifts from her aunt and uncle, on the card they wrote "from Aunt Ixxxx and Uncle Jxxxx." It seems petty but they are not relations. They have never met the boys, according to him though I don't really believe him. It would seem she is from an over-friendly family. It might be stroppy on my account but I really do not like that attitude. Be nice to my boys by all means but they won't call you aunt and uncle unless you are an actual relation. It pisses me off and he knows that.

Sod this - bring on 2008

5 comments:

Goldfinch said...

Just wanted to say I love your blog. I'm so sorry for your troubles but you WILL get through them, you will look back and smile one day.
Here's a little New Years Wish for you...

"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the arse of any personwho f*cks up your year and may his arms grow too short to scratch it"

Happy New Year to you and your boys xxxx
Julie

TwoIfBySea said...

Oh thats a good one Julie! Will need to remember that one to mutter under my breath at opportune moments.

And Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Pewari Naan said...

Just remember that children are often far more perceptive than adults, especially the age the hobbits are (similar age to my eldest). They have a fairly good sense to when emotional games are being played with them, even if they don't have the skills to counteract it.

It will backfire on him, badly one day. Just make sure you stay above all the game-playing.

My love to you and the hobbits - may 2008 be one filled with much more laughter than tears.

xxx

TwoIfBySea said...

I'm very aware of that, and the Hobbits are sharp enough to have picked up on it already.

From the start I warned people not to bad-mouth their father in front of them because, as you say, they will figure it out for themselves and will just resent other people, including me, for involving them in name-calling. I have tried to get that through to him but he just doesn't get it.

It is what makes life so difficult. That my sons are more mature than he is.

Pewari Naan said...

Oh I don't know ... I think you should be *proud* your sons are more mature than he is :) Shows that you're bringing them up to be wonderful human beings.

Stay strong, you're doing a great job.